Skidompha Library is the heart of our community. We serve the towns of Damariscotta, Newcastle, and Nobleboro, along with the greater Pemaquid Peninsula. At Skidompha, we offer a traditional library setting complimented by next generation services and conveniences. A short list of these services includes Genealogy, Book Clubs, CHATS with Champions Lecture Series, STEM education for children and teens, OWL Radio, Book Babies, computer access, Wi-Fi, and free meeting spaces. Our small staff of 13 and our numerous volunteers keep Skidompha running smoothly and ensure the availability of our wide range of services. Skidompha showcases art and quilt exhibits, theatrical and musical performances, and community-wide summer reading programs. Open six days a week, Skidompha offers a warm, friendly environment teeming with activity and people from aged 8 weeks to over 100.
The Board of Directors seeks an Executive Director to succeed our current Executive Director who will be retiring in June of 2019 after 19 years of service. The Executive Director’s role has evolved continuously since inception, so the new Executive Director must be flexible, patient, and constantly mindful of the ever-changing role libraries play locally and on a state and national level. Skidompha serves as a gathering place for our community and collaborates with other town businesses and non-profits. Skidompha Library is approximately 90% privately funded by our generous donors and our community. It maintains a spacious, scenic and excellent Secondhand Book Shop, as well as its original property at 170 Main Street, which it recently acquired and is available for future expansion. The Executive Director oversees all aspects of operations, development, and bookshop activities as well as all rental property and long-term facility needs.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Reports directly to the Board of Directors and provides regular updates regarding financials, programs and development
- Provides overall management, planning and leadership of the organization. This includes all aspects of staff and volunteer responsibilities at the library and the Secondhand Book Shop consistent with applicable laws and internal policies
- Provides overall management of 170 Main St, which is adjacent to the main library building and is a rental property housing several long-term commercial tenants. This is not a residence rental.
- Manages upkeep and repairs of library facilities and equipment, and oversees the library’s collections (reviewing, purchasing, removing outdated and/or uncirculated materials) with an eye to effective utilization of spaces in the library building
- Hires, supervises, and makes salary recommendations to Board.
- Understands financial statements, creates budgets and operates within budget guidelines.
- Provides leadership and direction in both short-term and long-term strategic plans.
- Interprets the organization’s purpose and programs to outside organizations and to the public.
- Directs and coordinates fundraising activities and maintains and grows relationships with individual donors and prospective donors
- Implements and manages library programs to meet the needs of the community
- Promotes a healthy and rewarding working culture for employees and volunteers
Education and Preferred Experience
- Four-year college degree
- Demonstrated significant fundraising and relationship-building experience
- Solid grasp of technology needs and implementation as pertains to libraries
- Experience with strategic planning and implementation
- Demonstrated ability interpreting reports from financial, donor and library software
- At least three years’ experience with business or non-profit organizations in a managerial position
- A love and a knowledge of reading and writing and a sense of humor
Compensation will be based on experience, with salary in the range of $60,000 to $75,000.
- To apply for the Skidompha Library Executive Director position, please submit your information to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 10, 2018, and include
- your cover letter stating your interest and summarizing your qualifications for the position, and
- your resumé that includes your post-secondary education and all relevant work experience and community involvement activities.
- Your cover letter and resumé should be PDF documents attached to your email. Please do not include the cover letter or resumé in the body of your email.
- All applications will be acknowledged as they are received. Additional communication with candidates will take place after the Skidompha search team reviews the applications. Candidates will be required to provide at least three professional references. Finalists will be required to pass a standard background check, at no cost to the candidate.
If you would like to download a printable copy of this description, you can find it here: SkidomphaLibrary_ExecutiveDirectorJobOpening