Skidompha Library Programming has moved ONLINE due to our closure to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus.
Here are some ways that you (or your children) can connect with Skidompha Library while we are closed:
- Jessie, Skidompha’s Children Librarian, will continue to share resources for staying home, learning, and spending time together. You can find her latest recommendations here and on the Skidompha Youth Services Facebook Group.
- Join Jessie on FACEBOOK LIVE Story Time! She’s hosting a live story time every Tuesday from 10 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. (On Facebook Live, you do not need to have your own video feed; you and your child can interact with Jessie through the comments on the video and she will include you in the welcome song!)
- Complete our Summer Reading Challenges online – download these helpful handouts to get you started.
Girl & Grown Up Book Club: Resilient Girls (Based on curriculum from girlsleadership.org/ )
“Welcome to another year of Girl & Grown-up Book Club! We’ve selected books that are well-written, age-appropriate, and thematically connected to the Girls Leadership mission to equip girls with the skills to exercise the power of their voice…Book Club is free, and is a fun way to connect with your girl and your community by experiencing page-turning stories involving characters who face challenges, stand up for themselves, and grow in a variety of ways.” – www.girlsleadership.org
Skidompha offers three Girl & Grown-up Book Clubs for girls in grades 2/3, 4/5, and 6,7, and 8. These groups began meeting in September, 2019. If you’d like to join a group, please contact Carrie.
If you’d like to read along with your girl at home, you can find the list of books we’re reading here.
Ongoing Kids Programming
We create and run a variety of thoughtfully developed programs designed to meet the needs and interests of the youth in our community. Our librarians are kids at heart and remember what it is like to be a child! We channel this feeling into a space that is welcoming, stimulating, educational, and fun.
Please see our events calendar for upcoming programming for kids! Keep reading for updates and photos from past programs.
Have an idea for Kid’s Programming you’d like to see at Skidompha? Email us your questions, comments, and ideas – or find a staffer at the Library next time you visit.
Some fun facts about our Kid’s programming at Skidompha:
- Over 1,500 kids have attended programs in 2019 alone!
- Over 100 kids signed up for our Summer Learning Program, and participated in educational activities over their summer vacation. (Even more attended our free family programming, like Mr. Drew and His Animals Too and Paper Rocket Making with Maine State STEM Librarian, Chris Dorman.)
- Our twice weekly story times are fun for ages 0 to 5 and take place on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 10 a.m.
- We have a weekly TV show (called “Skidompha Story Time”) on LCTV that reaches children and families unable to come in to the library. It airs every day at 7:30 a.m. Don’t have a TV? Check it out online at www.LCTV.org (or see one of our recent episode here!)
- Jessie, our Children’s Librarian, loves to recommend age and reading-level appropriate books and media for you or your child.