While some of Skidompha Library Kid’s Programming is ONLINE to keep everyone healthy, we are adding some in-person outside programming back into our offerings. Starting April 5, 2022, Story Time will be in person and outside in the courtyard!
Here are some ways that you (or your children) can connect with Skidompha Library:
- Jessie, Skidompha’s Children Librarian, will continue to share resources for staying home, learning, and spending time together. You can find her latest recommendations here and on the Skidompha Youth Services Facebook Group.
- Join Jessie for Story Time!
Homeschool Library Skills Program:
Skidompha is pleased to offer a new program designed to meet the needs of Maine homeschool families. Families with children in grades 1-12 are required to include library skills as a part of their annual curriculum; we have developed a six-part course tailored to children’s developmental needs at different levels. This program may be completed in-person or virtually. Please contact children’s librarian Jessie or teen librarian Kristi for more information or to register.
Please note the course will include the following sessions:
- Tour of the library
- Checking materials out
- Other available resources
- Check-in session
Each session will consist of informative and interactive portions. Children will also receive a special punchcard to keep them engaged and checking books out from the library at least ten times during the course of the school year. Upon completion of the program, participants will receive a form to submit along with their annual portfolio.
This program is free of charge and available to all Skidompha members. Don’t have a library card yet? Signing up is simple—stop by to learn how.
Ongoing Kids Programming
We create and run a variety of thoughtfully developed programs designed to meet the needs and interests of the youth in our community. Our librarians are kids at heart and remember what it is like to be a child! We channel this feeling into a space that is welcoming, stimulating, educational, and fun.
Please see our events calendar for upcoming online programming for kids! Keep reading for updates and photos from past programs.
Have an idea for Kid’s Programming you’d like to see at Skidompha? Email us your questions, comments, and ideas – or find a staffer at the Library next time you visit.
Some fun facts about our Kid’s programming at Skidompha:
- Over 1,500 kids have attended programs in 2019 alone!
- Over 100 kids signed up for our Summer Learning Program, and participated in educational activities over their summer vacation. (Even more attended our free family programming, like Mr. Drew and His Animals Too and Paper Rocket Making with Maine State STEM Librarian, Chris Dorman.)
- We have a weekly TV show (called “Skidompha Story Time”) on LCTV that reaches children and families unable to come in to the library. It airs every day at 7:30 a.m. Don’t have a TV? Check it out online at www.LCTV.org (or see one of our recent episode here!)
- Jessie, our Children’s Librarian, loves to recommend age and reading-level appropriate books and media for you or your child.