Chats with Champions is a free community offering from your national award-winning Skidompha Library and is sponsored by Sherman’s Maine Coast Book Shop. Recordings of many previous Chats are available on Skidompha Library’s YouTube.com page. For more information call 563-5513 or online at www.skidompha.org
Dean Rock: 3-D Prosthetic Devices
Tuesday, April 30th – 10 a.m.
On Tuesday, April 30 at 10 AM, Dean Rock of Cumberland, Maine, will speak at Skidompha Library’s Porter Meeting Hall. The topic of his lecture is 3-D printed prosthetic limbs, which he designs and prints to those in need. Please allow adequate time for parking.
Upon retirement, Dean Rock needed a hobby. Formerly a licensed substance abuse counselor in New Hampshire, Rock became a stay-at-home Dad when his family moved to Portland for his wife’s medical residency. During this time, Rock began experimenting with 3-D printing in his basement. His drive to apply his new skill to practical causes lead him to an online forum for amateur 3-D printers, and a global network of passionate volunteers called “e-Nable.” This all-volunteer group creates open-sourced programs and templates for customized designs of 3-D printed prosthetic hands and arms. Rock backed a Kickstarter proposal for a 3-D printer and, with the availability of software from e-Nable and supplies ordered on Amazon, Rock transitioned from hobbyist to philanthropist.
In 2016, Portland Rotary Club began looking for better prosthetics to fulfill its member organization’s international 3-H (Hearing, H2O and Hands) project. Serendipitously, Rotarian John Curran connected with Rock and a partnership ensued. Portland’s club, along with other neighboring Rotaries, enabled this collaboration to work through their combined interest, missions, and significant donations to the projects in Dominican Republican.
Rock donates his time, energy, and materials to residents of the Dominican Republic in need of prostheses. He considers the impact he makes on recipients’ lives reward enough for his work.
Learn more about Rock’s 3-D printing process, his philanthropy, and his plans for the future in this engaging lecture.
CHATS CALENDAR OF UPCOMING GUESTS
Check this page and our calendar for the schedule of presentations and for more information about each speaker. Unless noted otherwise, all programs begin at 10 am.
- April 30, 2019 (Tuesday) – Dean Rock: 3-D Prosthetic Devices
- May 7, 2019 (Tuesday) – Tim Hudson: Katahdin Woods and Water
- May 14, 2019 (Tuesday) – Ann Gass: We Demand – America’s First Cross-Country Automobile Trip for a Cause
- May 21, 2019 (Tuesday) – Christopher Leighton: Institute for Islamic, Christian, and Jewish Studies
- June 4, 2019 (Tuesday) – Peter Kinney: Camino de Santiago
- June 6, 2019 (Thursday) – Mark Alan Leslie: Ku Klux Klan in Maine
- June 13, 2019 (Thursday) – Alex Meyers: Revolutionary – America’s First Female Soldier, Deborah Sampson Gannett
- July 11, 2019 (Thursday) – Arlie Russell Hockschild: Strangers in Their Own Land
- July 18, 2019 (Thursday) – Mark Peterson: Health Care in America
- July 23, 2019 (Tuesday) – Lynne Olson – Madame Fourcade’s Secret War: The Daring Young Woman Who Led France’s Largest Spy Network Against Hitler
- August 15, 2019 (Thursday) – Richard Clarke and Robert Knake – The Fifth Domain: Cyber-Security
- August 20, 2019 (Tuesday) – Susan Dunlap – Listen to the Wind: Orphans of Tolosa, Book 1
- September 5, 2019 (Thursday) – Bob Hills: Iceland