Skidompha COVID-19 Readiness Update
As you know, we are all facing a difficult public health situation: the spread of novel coronavirus (COVID-19). It is an unsettling time, and I assure you that at Skidompha, we are carefully monitoring the situation and taking appropriate steps to protect our patrons and our staff.
In an effort to proactively limit the spread of the coronavirus, we have decided to suspend all public programs beginning Saturday, March 14, through March 31. This includes all events (classes, programs, workshops, etc.) in our meeting spaces. As of now, the library will remain open with regular operating hours.
Please know that this was not an easy decision for us to make. We know that library programs are an important resource for our patrons and cancellations will be a hardship for some in our community. However, out of an abundance of caution, we feel that this is the best way that we can support our state’s efforts to discourage crowds during this challenging time.
- In addition to the cancellation of programming, we are taking a number of steps to support the health of our community:
- Increased cleaning throughout the library
- Removal of toys from the children’s room
- Cancellation of volunteer shifts at the library
- Encouraging social distancing by suspending the use of our meeting rooms, spreading out public computers and increasing spacing between seats throughout the library
- Temporarily halting all book donations to the library and the Skidompha Secondhand Book Shop
We will continue to look to the State of Maine and the CDC for guidance, and we encourage you to do the same. We will adjust our plans as needed as the situation evolves, and will communicate any changes to you in a timely manner. It is possible that the library will need to limit our hours or close for a period of time. Please let us know if we can help you access support from other community organizations if this is to happen. Stop by our circulation desk and let us know what help you anticipate needing. We will do our best to find you support. As with all library communications, these discussions will be kept confidential.
Above all, remember that this too shall pass. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work to best serve and protect our patrons and staff.
Yours in good health,
TIPS FOR VISITING SKIDOMPHA
We will adjust our hours as needed as the situation evolves, and will communicate any changes to you in a timely manner. It is possible that the library will need to limit our hours or close for a period of time.
Unsure if the library has updated hours? We will send out updates to you via email. You can also visit our website, check our social media pages, or call us on the phone (207-563-5513) if you have questions.
We are still asking the following of all of our patrons who visit the library. Remember that your actions matter and that we are in this together.
- Please stay home if you are sick. Be aware that seniors and those with compromised respiratory and immune systems are at increased risk.
- Please wash your hands with soap and water frequently and thoroughly, for at least 20 seconds. (Hand sanitizer gels are helpful, but effective hand washing is best.)
- Keep your hands and fingers away from your face and mouth (I know, this is really hard!) and cough and sneeze into a tissue or your inner elbow, not your hand.
- If you have loved ones or neighbors who are at high risk, work with them to help minimize their trips away from home.
- When entering or exiting Skidompha use your elbow to push the ADA door buttons and avoid using your hands to push or pull the doors. (Or wash your hands after using the handle.)